buenosairesrunway

The British military allegedly committed war crimes in Afghanistan, the BBC says

After a 4-year investigation, the British media show that unarmed Afghans have been killed “in cold bloodfrom the SAS during night raids.

A commando of the Special Air Service (SAS), the British special forces, killed at least 54 people in suspicious circumstances, facts hidden by their hierarchy, according to a BBC investigation broadcast on Tuesday 12 July.

Unarmed Afghans were killed “in cold bloodby the SAS during the night raids between November 2010 and May 2011 and the weapons were then placed on their corpses to justify these crimes, the British channel reports after a four-year investigation. According to the BBC, senior officials, including General Mark Carleton-Smith, who was in charge of the British special forces at the time, were aware of the concerns about these operations within the SAS, but did not inform the military police. Under British law governing the military, it is a criminal offense for a commander not to inform the military police if he is aware of potential war crimes, the BBC notes.

Mark Carleton-Smith, who retired last month after commanding the entire British army, declined to comment on the BBC, whose investigation is based on court documents, leaked emails and his reporters’ field work in Afghanistan. The defense ministry said there was not enough evidence to prosecute. “No new evidence has been presented, but police will investigate any allegations if new evidence comes to lighthe said in a statement to the BBC.

The BBC investigation identified 54 people who were shot dead in suspicious circumstances by an SAS unit between November 2010 and May 2011 in Helmand province. “Too many people were killed in night raids and the explanations made no sense. When someone is arrested, he doesn’t have to get killed“A military officer reacted to the BBC. “At the time it was clear that something was wrong“According to the BBC, several warnings emerged, but the commando was allowed to end its mission and was even deployed for another mission in 2012. In 2014, the Royal Military Police (RMP) launched an investigation. on more than 600 violations allegedly committed by British Forces in Afghanistan, including the SAS. Its investigators told the BBC they had beenhinderedby the military and the investigation ended in 2019.


SEE ALSO – Afghanistan: taming chaos?

#British #military #allegedly #committed #war #crimes #Afghanistan #BBC

Exit mobile version